Veterans' Services

We are proud to offer services for those who've served our country honorably. Below is information on eligibility, headstones, and burial flags.


The Military Funeral Honors ceremony is a solemn and respectful event that honors the service and sacrifice of veterans. During the ceremony, a funeral honors detail consisting of at least two members of the Armed Forces will fold and present the United States flag to the veteran's family, and Taps will be played.

The type of Funeral Honors rendered will depend on the veteran's status, and can include Full Military Honors, 7 Person Detail or a Standard Honors Team Detail. At least one member of the funeral honors detail will be from the Armed Force in which the deceased veteran served.

If a bugler is not available, a quality recorded version of Taps may be played. Additionally, Military Funeral Honor Teams may act as Pall Bearers if requested by the veteran's family.

Overall, the Military Funeral Honors ceremony is a respectful tribute to the men and women who have served our country, and serves as a reminder of their bravery and sacrifice.

Who is eligible for Military Funeral Honors?
 - Military members on active duty or in the Selected Reserve.
 - Former military members who served on active duty and departed under conditions other than dishonorable.
 - Former military members who completed at least one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service in the Selected Reserve and departed under conditions other than dishonorable.
 - Former military members discharged from the  - Selected Reserve due to a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.

How do I establish veteran eligibility?
 - The preferred method is the DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty. If the DD Form 214 is not available, any discharge document showing other than dishonorable service can be used. The DD Form 214 may be obtained by filling out a Standard Form 180 and sending it to:

National Personnel Records Center(NPRC)
9700 Page Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63132

Is anyone else eligible to receive funeral honors?
 - Yes. Members of the Commissioned Officer Corps of the Public Health Service (PHS) and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), as members of a Uniformed Service, are also eligible to receive funeral honors.

For NOAA personnel, eligibility is established using NOAA Form 56-16, Report of Transfer or Discharge. If the family does not have a copy of the NOAA Form 56-16, it may by obtained by contacting the Chief, Officer Services Division, NOAA Commissioned Personnel Center at (301) 713-7715.


The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides a Government headstone or marker for the unmarked grave of any eligible veteran, regardless of their date of death. This service is free of charge for the applicant and is available in any cemetery worldwide. For eligible veterans who passed away on or after Nov. 1, 1990, the VA may provide a headstone or marker for graves that are already marked with a private headstone or marker. Applicants can choose between a traditional headstone or marker, or a new device (available spring 2009) if the grave is already marked.

VA offers flat markers in granite, marble, and bronze, as well as upright headstones in granite and marble. The style of the headstone or marker must be consistent with existing monuments at the burial site. Niche markers are also available to mark columbaria used for inurnment of cremated remains.

If the burial or memorialization is in a national cemetery, state veterans' cemetery, or military post/base cemetery, the cemetery officials will order the headstone or marker based on the inscription information provided by the next of kin or authorized representative.

It's important to note that spouses and dependents are not eligible for a Government-furnished headstone or marker unless they are buried in a national cemetery, state veteran's cemetery, or military post/base cemetery.

Lastly, there is no fee for the headstone or marker itself, but the applicant is responsible for making arrangements for its placement in a private cemetery, and all setting fees are at private expense.

Burial Flags

A United States flag is provided, at no cost, to drape the casket or accompany the urn of a deceased veteran who served honorably in the U. S. Armed Forces. It is furnished to honor the memory of a veteran's military service to his or her country. VA will furnish a burial flag for memorialization for:

 - A veteran who served during wartime
 - A veteran who died on active duty after May 27, 1941
 - A veteran who served after January 31, 1955
 - A peacetime veteran who was discharged or released before June 27, 1950
 - Certain persons who served in the organized military forces of the Commonwealth of the Philippines while in service of the U.S. Armed Forces and who died on or after April 25, 1951
 - Certain former members of the Selected Reserves

Who Is Eligible to Receive the Burial Flag?

Generally, the flag is given to the next-of-kin, as a keepsake, after its use during the funeral service. When there is no next-of-kin, VA will furnish the flag to a friend making request for it. For those VA national cemeteries with an Avenue of Flags, families of veterans buried in these national cemeteries may donate the burial flags of their loved ones to be flown on patriotic holidays.

How Can You Apply?

You may apply for the flag by completing VA Form 27-2008, Application for United States Flag for Burial Purposes. You may get a flag at any VA regional office or U.S. Post Office. Generally, the funeral director will help you obtain the flag.

Can a Burial Flag Be Replaced?

The law allows us to issue one flag for a veteran's funeral. We cannot replace it if it is lost, destroyed, or stolen. However, some veterans' organizations or other community groups may be able to help you get another flag.

For More Information Call Toll-Free at 1-800-827-1000